Did you know that caffeine is one of the most commonly consumed drugs in the world? This psychoactive drug is found in a range of food, beverages, and pills. Needless to say, when talking about caffeine, one of the first things that come to everyone’s mind is coffee. Liked by many for its stimulating effect and aromatic taste, coffee has been consumed by millions of people since ages.
Alright! Now, this is no news for regular coffee drinkers. So, what’s new? Just read on, we’ve got some interesting facts about Civet coffee, which is the world’s rarest and most expensive of its kind.
- Kopi luwak is manufactured in different places such as Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam. However, according to coffee connoisseurs, the one that comes from Sumatra islands is considered the best.
- There are two types of civet coffee – wild and farmed. The former is superior and original whereas the latter is said to be inferior in taste and quality.
- Arabica kopi luwak, made from high-altitude regions in the Sumatra islands, are considered to be the stronger and flavorsome than Robusta kopi luwak, which is cultivated in relatively low-altitude areas.
- The “Cat poo coffee” gained media attention when it was featured in the movie “the Bucket List” and Oprah Winfrey Show.
- The annual production of kopi luwak all over the world is estimated to be about 700 kg only. This makes it the rarest coffee in the world.
- Japan is the world’s biggest consumer of civet coffee. U.S comes next with importers purchasing nearly one-fifth of the estimated output.
- Most coffee lovers consider kopi luwak as a prestigious drink. A single cup of civet coffee sells at around $30 to $80 in U.S., $45 in South Korea, and around $45 to $90 in other countries.
- Research reports have shown that kopi luwak has a lot of health benefits. It helps prevent cancer, skin diseases, neurological disorders, gallstone diseases, protects the teeth, and controls type 2 diabetes.
- If you wish to taste homemade civet coffee, then we recommend you roast deeper for an intense flavor. Those who prefer to sample mild kopi luwak can reduce the level of roasting. Just add cream to your cup of civet coffee, you will have a wonderful experience.